Thursday, August 5, 2021

A Finished Stone Bust

 After I felt happy with the sculpt, I decided to render the bust as a white slab of stone. I did this because I feel I am not yet confident enough to produce a good realistic poly paint without it looking cartoonish or slightly off. I have experimented with painting this character however, which I will talk about in this post.

I am proud of how Arthur's face turned out with the detail and the hair really bringing the character to life, I feel confident that the likeness to the character is similar and recognizable which is what I wanted to achieve. 
The clothing however I feel falls short, as I wasn't really sure how to bring it together to look realistic. I think a reason for the clothing being not as well put together as the face is due to me focusing solely on the face for the majority of the sculpt, and keeping the clothes at an almost block-in stage until near the end.
I have also taken this sculpting time to learn the basics of fibremesh hair, which I did in multiple parts around the head to try and give the illusion of a layered type right parting. Going forward I will do more studies on hair and how to make it look more realistic for character sculpting.
Here was my attempt at polypainting the character. The colouring feels right, but it appears too muddy and stylistic. Going forward, I want to use this character to further practice polypaint and fibremesh for future sculpts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...