Monday, August 9, 2021

The Joys Of Retopology

 Today I have been learning and applying retopology to my character Deadeye Daniel from the stylised full bodied outlaw series. This work has proven to be, as I thought, very time consuming and tedious, however it helps to significantly reduce the polys used when making a character. I am also learning how to transfer the polypaint to the retopologised model via the Transfer Attributes tool.

So far the retopologising has gone well, though I feel I need to practice my edge flow for the faces were I to eventually take my characters into some form of animation. 
The edge flow around the eyes and mouth often needs to be circular to allow for opening and closing, and for the range of movements that both parts of the face are capable of. 

For the first try at retop and bake I'm fairly happy with the results, going from 116k tries on the high poly head sculpt to 3240 on the low poly. One thing I have noticed however is that the seams of the UV seem very noticable after baking, and in some places the texture itself needs a little bit of fixing, as there aren't enough polys to hold the forms together enough on the UV map. This can be rectified with either more polys being added, or a simple feathering background of the block colours in photoshop.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...