Saturday, October 3, 2020

The Franken-Barrel

 For my first experiment of pushing the boundries of stylisation through silhouettes, I went for a simple barrel. Barrels have been a big part of games since games were first on the market. With a recognisable cylinder shape, hundreds of games from low budget indie, to high budget triple A, the use of a barrel has been prevailent in them all whether it's a bright red explosive barrel, or a friendly wooden barrel filled with health items to help the player along.

So far I've loved the stylised version of the barrel, with the most extreme style being my favourite. To me, looking at the extreme example I can almost picture the world it comes from, twisty trees and crazy roads dotted around a cartoon themed world.

Following the barrel, I want to try something with a similar theme, but a harder shape to distort, for this, I want to try a run down shack next. I feel like a building could be quite a challenge to distort while also keeping the silhouette as a recognisable shape.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...