Friday, October 2, 2020

Pushing The Boundries Of Shape

 My aim for this project is to try and discover how far a designer can take a cartoonistic style while keeping the object's silhouette recognisable. Silhouettes in modeling are perhaps one of the most important aspects of the design. If an object can be taken, turned into a silhouette, and still recognised then it is considered a successful design. What I'll be trying to do, create a series of models in a realistic style at first, with a recognisable shape and silhouette, and create them again in gradually more and more stylised ways, pushing the boundries of the silhouette. 

The first model I'm going to create and distort will be a simple barrel, as you can find them in nearly every game, including the games I've talked about in the last post. I honestly think that the barrel would be recognisable even in the most extreme styles that I could come up with, as they are so prevailent in games that a simple cylinder can often be recognised as a barrel depending on the game. 


(Gunpowder barrel image: https://seaofthieves.gamepedia.com/Stronghold_Gunpowder_Barrel)
(Regular barrel image: https://www.seaofthievesmap.info/383/the-sunken-grove/resource-barrels)

Even the barrels in a stylised game such as Sea Of Thieves are standardly shaped with an easily recognisable silhouette. This is something that may be hard to challenge the idea of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...