Saturday, June 12, 2021

Some Colour

 Bringing the character to life required a splash of colour in his cheeks in the form of ZBrush's polypaint. I went for simplisitc shading with subtle colours to give the character a natural look, and used harsher blockier colours for the scars and moles to make them stand out a lot, giving the wear and tear look a more meaningful impact.

I chose to try and make him look aged and weary, highlighting the bags under his eyes with a light purple to match his sleepless red and off coloured eyes. The stubble adds to the unkempt appearance, as well as the graying brown hair that has mainly fallen out with age. I chose to make his hair greying brown instead of just grey to keep his age a litter more of a guess, so that he could be younger but just hasn't taken care of himself in the slightest, or could still be an old man. I also chose to give him different coloured eyes to give him something unique and interesting about him that I feel other characters in the same universe would probably notice first, and combined with the redness and off colouring, I feel the different colours sit well and invoke more mystery behind the character.

I've also dotted some harsh looking sun burn around his face to emphasize his lack of care for looks or wellbeing. I feel it also sets his story out a little, suggesting that the character lives a rough, outdoor life away from comfort and shelter.


Next to paint is the torso and legs as they are the next piece that has been finished, then once the arms and hands are finally done I can move on to rigging.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...