Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Hands Are Easy

 After spending a lot of time looking through characters on Art Station, characters in games, and even my own hands, I felt confident enough to start to structure the underlying form of the hand, so that I can begin adding the details enough to make it fit with the style I have chosen.

The first pass of the hands felt to be way too 'soft', yet maintained a decent enough structure to slowly build upon and find something that could work for the character should he be holding something. The fingers were difficult to begin, as simply starting the forms of them with the amount of tris dedicated to the hand were not enough, and so I found that Dynameshing helped a lot to ensure the mesh stayed solid and not distorted due to lack of polys.


After building upon the structure of the hands, I made each section of the fingers as thin and decrepit as I could without making them look to distorted. to add to the uncomfortably gross appeal of this character, I made his palms somewhat unnervingly pale with large veins on show, suggesting his hands have seen a lot of manual work and have been damaged greatly over time.  


I have also chosen to cover his hands in small scars and damage to indicate further his disregard for his own well being in the pursuit of his deeds. The sunburn on the back of his arm fits with the sunburn on the rest of his exposed skin, again illustrating the fact the character lives a rough, outdoor life.






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...