Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Undead Study

 Using my third anatomy study as a base, I decided to try and attempt my favourite cryptid, a zombie. It was great fun trying to make the character I had previously made slowly decay into a shambling horror, and led me to find some great new artists to follow whilst I was browsing for reference and guidance, and even coming across the artwork for a VR game I play often, which helped me along the way.

Once again another quick sculpt, especially since I had a base mesh already for use, turning my anatomy study into the undead took me roughly three and a half hours, during which I looked into the decaying of skin around eyes and mouth, and also the loss of noses.

This was a really fun little project to do, and I hope to eventually do more creepy looking sculpts once my skills are more refined. This is also actually the first sculpt I have done with an open mouth and teeth, and I'm decently happy with the outcome, following the structure of the mouth from the base mesh, the teeth could be placed a little better, as the gaps between them are quite large, which isn't too much of an issue with a zombie, but if this were another anatomy study, I would most likely need to study the structure, placement, and types of teeth and where they all go.

The ear was difficult and posed quite hard to destroy without looking like I just mushed it up inside itself, however I am pleased with the side profile of the zombie. I do wish to continue with this study, perhaps starting a new sculpt for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...