Saturday, February 27, 2021

Duncan, A Gross New Friend

 I wanted to go down my initial route that I took with some of my models in semester 1 for this next character with stylised realism. To begin, I thought of two simple words I could use to describe a character, on Duncan's case I chose 'fat' and 'ugly' and went from there. As with all of my sculpted characters, I began with a simple size 64 sphere, and used to move tool to position some ears, a large nose, and a wide chin.

Once I had gotten a rough shape sorted out, I went on to give a higher amount of detail to the facial features that would really sell the initial words I used to create him. Each feature is clearly highly exaggerated in order to make this character a truly disgusting looking person. To get the realism portion of the character right, I had to look into how fat usually deposits itself on the face, and where it builds up the most, which gave me the large cheeks and the secondary chin.

















After this, I coloured the eyes to give myself an idea of just how gross looking I wanted Duncan to be, and added the smaller and finer details to the face such as the pores, wrinkles, dimples and scars. I also added a touch of asymmetry to his face to bring him more to life, and to add to the uglier parts of his face such as the droopy eyes and mouth.
In my initial texturing test, I had Duncan with a dark 5 O'clock shadow, and clean white eyes, it was suggested however to remove the stubble and replace it later down the line with some thinning stubble using the fibremesh tool, which really brought him to life later down the line. I chose to add a harsh looking purple hue to his under eyes to make him appear sleepless, and give the illusion that Duncan doesn't really take proper care of himself as he should.
















I then started to work on a sweat dripping look using a brush to paint a blinn material over the basic material I was using for his skin originally. I also added veins to the sides of the head, and burst blood vessels on the nose and cheeks to indicate age and perhaps some sort of alcoholism.





















After finishing the sweat, I added a few more colour details around his head and finished off by added some fibremesh components to him for an added grossness effect. The hair on the top of his head was combed over from the middle on both sides, while the nose and ear hairs were simply lengthened out from their origin spots.



















While so far it is incomplete, I have also started working on a lovely fitting body for Duncan, starting with the torso, I created a bean shaped sphere and added further details from there, the legs came second with the thighs being a combination of the move tool and clay buildup to add fatty areas and creases in the sweatpants. The bottom half of the legs stemmed from a single sphere, shaped like a cone using the move and pinch tools, then sculpting the feet onto the bottoms of it. Next step will be the arms which I have not yet begun, as I have become distracted and started several new sculpts at the same time.






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...