Thursday, February 18, 2021

A Splash Of Colour Part 2

 I have been painting the second character sculpt lately and am very happy with the outcome. So far I'm liking this one a lot more than the first sculpt, as the colouring has really given the character personality. Combine that with the variations of hair styles and this character can go from good to evil looking with a single change. 

As with the first sculpt, I have added some skin mottling to bring along some semi stylised realism into the material, and also to give the character a slightly more aged look. 
This time I decided to put less detail into the irises of the character which I think has produced a more aesthetically pleasing and simple look.
I have also chosen to add moles on the face (and back of the head) to give the character more personality overall.
I have also opted to give this character actual eyebrows this time as I felt it brought a more friendly atmosphere to the character which is what I wanted to test with the different styles.
When designing the hair for this character, I wanted to give off the impression of a somewhat heroic looking character with some styles, that could be flipped to some kind of maniac looking bad guy with others. For this I gave the heroic side a nice right parted comb over and a thick moustache. I chose the hair colour ginger as it seems warm and friendly and fits the character's green eyes well. 
In contrast to the friendlier dad like hairstyle, I have chosen to also give the character a large mohawk to try and give the impression of some sort of crazy villain or minion. Once again the ginger hair helps portray this side of it as it has allowed me to give the mohawk and mutton chops a sort of burnt appearance.
I have also made a neutral sort of side character type look with an afro and soul patch. This variation gives off the impression of a shop owner or companion rather than an enemy or main character.
Finally I have done a Dr. Eggman inspired villain that gives off the impression of some sort of mad scientist, or perhaps a distinguished gentleman.
I have also been playing around with facial scarring to give more history behind character's appearance. With the Zadd button selected when painting, I can add colour while sculpting to give this unique look. I have also set alternate colours on so that if I hold the alt key while painting, the wounds go inwards and are bright red to give them a fresh appearance, while the former gives an older, healed look.
As tested on my other character, this technique can deliver some quite gruesome looking results. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...