Thursday, October 29, 2020

The Gunpowder Barrel - Part 1

 For the first test of the realism versus stylised texturing, I have successfully modeled a gunpowder barrel from the game Sea Of Thieves. I have chosen to avoid following the full stylisation of it along the edges as this may fully distort even the realistic texture. For this reason, I have simply given the edges a beveled look, to maintain the style of Sea Of Thieves, while still being able to give it a realistic render later on.



I have however kept the stylisation on the paper label on the front of the barrel, as I felt that would be an excellent test for the realism on top of stylised models. The model was successful as even though it does not hold 100% stylisation, it holds enough to be a good even ground between the two styles. 
Seaofthieves.com. 2018. Sea Of Thieves. [online] Available at: <https://www.seaofthieves.com/> 
Here is the reference image I used for modeling the gunpowder barrel, notice the edges are flattened and there is general wear and tear along both the metal and wood areas. I opted to not include these parts as I felt they would be better represented in normal / height mapping in order to avoid the realistic texture having to compromise so much with the shapes of the damaged areas. One issue I did find with this reference image however, is the fact that the wick on top is missing. For this reason I had to use a variation of the barrel to determine exactly how to place it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...