Friday, October 9, 2020

Simpler Shapes For Simpler Times Part 2

 Part 2 of the simple shapes will be a cylinder and a cone. I feel like these may be a bit more difficult to fully distort than the cube and the sphere, as they are more specific shapes.

The Cyclinders

As usual, iteration 1 is the simplest form of the cylinder, yet from the side appears as a rectangle. The second form verges on the barrel model I made a few posts back, it stretches the shape but is still very visibly a cylinder. The third shape pushes the boundries of the form a little more than the last giving it an unusual look. It seems a bit of a stretch to see a cylinder form in number 3 which I feel makes it a successful test. The fourth shape is back to the simple form with crushed in sides but still visible as what it started as. Number 5 is a more stylised look, but still could be percieved as as cylinder. 5 once again closely resembles the barrel form from the first post I made. The Sixth and final shape is the most distorted, and to me I can't see a cylinder form at all. To me this shape resembles a sort of jug or vase rather than a simple cylinder, which I feel makes this another successful attempt.

The Cones

The cones overall were a higher success as each one managed to push the boundries in different ways. The first cone is as always simple. The second one takes on the form of some sort of pastry rather than a cone, this one's boundries are pushed quite highly as the cone shape is barely recognisable.
The third iteration takes on the form of an expanded cone, losing most but not all familiarity, successfully taking the silhouette to a new form. Number 4 is very recognisable as a cone even though the shape is so exaggerated. I feel as though this is still a success as it is very different from the original and yet still holds it's form. The final shape on this batch is a curved version of number 4, only holding some of the original form. This iteration is perhaps the most stylised of the bunch, and eludes to a softer, jelly like form.






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...