Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Simpler Shapes For Simpler Times Part 1

 After testing the three pirate themed models, I have found it difficult to push thier boundries of shape. Because of this, I've decided to try and distort some extremely simple shapes such as a cube, a sphere, a cone and a cylinder.

The Cubes

There's obviously not much to say about cube number 1, as it's a simple straight forward cube. For number 2, I decided to round off the edges and squish the sides to give it a sort of Crash Bandicoot crate style. For number 3 I wanted to do uneven sides to try and lose the shape of a cube, however it failed as it still clearly holds the obvious shape of what it once was. 4 was perhaps my most successful attempt as the silhouette of a cube is clearly lost, and gives the appearance of some sort of pot or vase. Back to a basic shape, 5 clearly resembles a cube still, yet has been somewhat flattened. 6 is a less exaggerated iteration of 4, trying to regain the silhouette from the unrecognisable shape it became.

The Sphere
Once again, iteration 1 is the most simple form of the object, with an easily recognisable form. The second example I have produced shows a slightly more deformed, egg like, sphere which still largely represents the spherical form. The third form is the most distorted of the bunch, and shows nearly a cube like shape rather than a sphere. I feel as though this may have been the most successful attempt of both the cube and the sphere so far as it has truly pushed the boundries of it's form. Number 4 displays a lemon-like shape which is fairly distinguishable from a sphere. I feel as though this is also a successful iteration as it leans more towards a stylised rock of sorts. The elements of a sphere are still present, yet if the onlooker wishes to, can be overlooked as another object. The fifth test is extremely simple, as it has been flattened slightly from above to give this bread loaf type look. The shape can still easily be viewed as sphere and holds the silhouette well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...