Sunday, October 11, 2020

A Stylised Past

 My previous experiences in modeling have all followed a stylised theme. From my early days in college doing a Marvel asset showcase in the style of a comic book, to my more current work from last year, a VR heist game. 

Here I kept the models simple and stylised as I wanted to portray a sort of comic book style, while keeping the assets complex enough to look nice.

During my heist game, I tried to keep the style light and playful as the gameplay was a goofy sort of spoof on a bank heist. To explain furthur, the player was dressed as a gorilla disguise and threw bananas as an attack.
Here is an asset from the game that I spent prehaps the most time on, the car. The car is used a lot in the game as it poses as an obstacle on the way to bank. This means that the player will (if they don't look both ways) come very close to the car model, so it had to look good. While not goofy shaped, the car is still quite stylised but holds a very recognisable silhouette.

The buildings in the game were also similarly stylised to emphasise a cartoonish like world. If I had the opportunity I would have stuck a toon outline on the game like I did on the Marvel one, however all the ones I learnt were too resource heavy for a VR game, so I settled with block colours and bright, no shadowed lighting.
So even though the models are overly goofy shaped, they all fit the same style and work together to create a stylised world as I had envisioned.









No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...