Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Evaluation

 After the tests I've performed on the different shapes, I think I have come to a conclusion. I would like to take the ideas I have explored further but potentially in a slightly different direction. What I mean by that is, I started the study on how far a designer could push a silhouette, yet I've found more enjoyment in organising scenes of stylised models to find hidden shapes in them.

Hopefully, I can continue this study and further investigate hiding shapes in scenes through the use of silhouettes. In order to continue, I shall be looking into artists that do this in paintings and in real life, to gain a grasp on the way they portray the art, and how they would go about starting to lay it out. In the mockup scene I made, the ship was only slightly visible to me, I wish to take this further and have a themed shape clearly visible without having to edit it in. For this, I will also need to research composition and scene placement in order for the image to be seen as well as the scene making sense. 

I feel my most successful silhouette test was either the shack or the cone. The shack provided some useful insight into the differences between regular and stylised silhouettes without taking the shape too far to be unrecognisable. The shack proved fun to distort, and the fully stylised iteration inspired me to create the final image with the hidden ship. The cone on the other hand demonstrated just how far you can push a recognisable shape in order to remove its familiarity. Multiple of the iterations of the cones were far from what they originated from and demonstrated the power of stylisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...