Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Patrick Star

 I've been working on a disgusting looking rendition of  Patrick Star with Niall helping choose the direction of the style and look for the character. 

During the sculpting, I envisioned the character being grossly overweight with lots of excess skin, for this I placed a lot of small volumes of fat around his face, making him appear as though he's almost melting. The body itself I feel could have turned out better, but still represents the idea I was trying to portray. I also tried to make the face look as uncomfortable as I could, making it look as though Patrick isn't enjoying his appearance.

While I enjoy how the character turned out, I feel as though the eyes were somewhat problematic, due to me merging them too early on in the creation stage. Due to this, the eyes, to me at least, appear misshapen. Before painting the character, I wish to iron out these issues I have, and create a more solid looking 'cursed' version of Patrick. Another thing I feel like I added too early was the details of the skin roughness. While this isn't too big of an issue as the main features are readily in and finished, it would have been beneficial to 
Due to the idea of the character being 'cursed' Niall came up with the idea of having Patrick's starfish suction cups being large and dotted around like some sort of acne or growth on his back to add to the disgusting idea of the character.

I had painted the character, but felt that due to the changes I wanted to implement into it, I chose to remove the PolyPaint and replace it later down the production.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...