Friday, May 7, 2021

Super Sculptin'

 I decided to try my hand at a somewhat anatomically accurate head if it were covered by a full head mask, like a superhero. I thought it would be a fun challenge to try and create a simple shape with somewhat accurate proportions (even though they are slightly exaggerated for some stylisation practice too).

Initially this was going to be a stylised character that could sit along side the cow I made in the previous post, however, I accidentally grabbed a chunk out of the back of the character's head using the move tool, which reminding me of the back of Deadpool's mask in the comics. This instantly made me want to create a Deadpool-esque character with my own style added to it. I also tried to incorporate realistic proportions to help guide my anatomy studies, even though this is clearly stylised.
I am particularly happy with the side profile of the character as it really feels as though there could be a human face under the mask, with the slightly squashed nose adding to the idea of the mask. In the last anatomy session I had with James, He mentioned how the skull of my sculpts need to sit on top of the neck rather than, as he put it, be a part of the neck, which I totally agreed with. This prompted me to angle the neck more, and separate it from the head. He also pointed out that the way I had the back of the jaw was way too angled, and so on this sculpt I went more vertically.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...