Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Hero Forge: A Character Designer's Dream

 Hero Forge is a free online miniature character creator with the main focus being on characters for the popular role playing rpg Dungeons and Dragons. However, as someone who loves to create unique looking characters, I spend a lot of time messing around with the customisation options, and even look at certain details they have done with hair styles and such for when I'm sculpting these things for myself. 

The site opens up to either a male of female human as default in order to give the user a 'blank slate' to create a character from. Each customisable item in Hero Forge is sculpted in ZBrush which makes me enjoy it even more, as I can visualise the brush strokes of some of the items you can use. The visuals of Hero Forge are very unique as they give off a sort of clay sculpted finish, and holds a sort of soft and friendly appearance to even the meanest of characters.


Even with colour, the minatures still retain a clay sculpture like appearance, as the materials available to use all have a very unique hand painted look and feel to them, which again is something I am passionate about, as hand painted stylised characters and models are something that I enjoy both visually and when creating them myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...