Monday, March 29, 2021

Second Anatomy Study

I forgot to get screenshots of the early stage process of this sculpt so here it is dropped down to sub division level 1. This time I wanted to go for a larger more stronger looking character than my previous one, and also wanted to attempt open eyes properly. I spent a lot longer on this sculpt that I did on the first one, as I wanted to push myself to achieve something I can be proud of. For this reason, I spent a good few hours on the lower subdivision levels before even considering dividing at all to make sure that the features of the face are valid and accurate to human proportions.







This was where I was at with the 3rd subdivision of the sculpt, the face felt too stretched and disproportionate and almost caused me to abandon the study and start again.
The top of the sculpt here worked well however, as the structure of the skull felt natural, which encouraged me to continue just to see what I could make from what I had. This led to a lot of time adjusting certain elements of the character's face in order to reach something I was happy with.






Her I am still on the same subdivision level a day later still experimenting and playing with the character's proportions to create something I think could be believable. It was around this time I noticed that I had left the cheekbones a bit too unrealistically high up and sharp and so began to lower them and make them appear more fleshy and covered rather than looking like  they were pushing out from under the skin and had nothing above them.







By the third subdivision, I was happy with how the character was coming together and spent the time on this subdivision refining the features such as the nose, ears and eyes with detail that I couldn't include in the lower levels. Here I started to really define the nose and brow features to bring the detail forward and allow me to construct an accurate representation of a human face, Once I had those two features in a good place, the eyes seems to fall together on their own, and I had little sculpting to do to create them.








The fourth division allowed me to bring the sculpt closer to realism by allowing me to place in key features surrounding the eyes, nose and mouth, allowing me to present the ageing and wear of the character for me to follow the creases of his face. I also moved the location of the mouth slightly to once again get closer to realism. I also moved the ears up slightly so that the top sat parallel to the centre of the eyes, and the lobe sat close to the tip of the nose. Initially I was worried that I had placed the wrinkles in a little too early, however as they were the major marks such as the crows feet and the forehead lines, it in fact aided me in determining areas such as the eyelids and orientation of the brow bones.






Subdivison five I used for finer wrinkles around the eyes and brows, some subtle moles, and some small scars, while subdivison six I used for some skin surface pores and stretching studies. I also began playing with the lighting in ZBrush to achieve a higher quality render to use, hence the lighting coming from the left rather than the right. This allowed me to exhibit the detail on the pores and smaller scars.















Here is the finished study with brows and better lighting included. and the brows in place. I also moved the eyes forward slightly and altered the nose and mouth as I felt both were a little too large.











The profile shot of the character reveals the skin damaged I chose the include to give the sculpt more personality behind it with imperfections.











Fibremesh rendered using the best preview render works well with this character as it adds to the rugged and aged look I was aiming to achieve. This time however, rather than breaking down the facial hair into separate areas, I added it all as one piece, as it was all one length and was simply stubble.










Playing around with the idea of a large defining scar and the sort of affect that could carry on facial hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...