Saturday, January 2, 2021

The Pirate part 4 + More

 After a long time painting and rendering to get this looking right, I have finally finished the stylised realism pirate from Sea Of Thieves. 


While this model is lower poly than the original sculpt, it is not as low as it could have been, as this model is roughly 280k tris. I feel like for a head however, that this is not a bad amount to have, as the head of a character is what a player would be looking at the closest and most often. I chose to keep the hair in the Sea Of Thieves style rather than render actual hair on the model as I felt that because the model was staying stylised, the hair should be too. Due to rendering in sketchfab, I have been able to include subsurface scattering on this sculpt, allowing for further realism for the head.





I have also finished the realistic shaped head and attempted to texture it in a stylised way. I feel however that this model has not been as successful as the Sea Of Thieves head, as it still looks like I've gone for realism, which I feel is down to the rendering options I chose for Sketchfab. As seen on the character's cheek, I have included scars that would normally appear on a Sea Of Thieves character to try and emphasize the stylisation that I have been trying to achieve. I have a theory that the sculpt itself is also to blame for the non stylistic appearance, as when sculpting in order to add realism, I included wrinkles and age, and even skin pores, which made it difficult to mix into a less realistic style while still retaining the detail of the model. In earlier sculpts, I had included fibre meshes for the stubble and the eyebrows to bring the realism of the sculpt up further, yet it drastically increased the poly count and would have made the final appearance way too realistic.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conclusion

 This past year of study has taught me a lot about both my work and myself. Character design was always something I thought would be way abo...